Comprehensive Orthopedics & Sports Medicine – Salt Lake City
Orthopedic Medicine & Sports Medicine
Dr. Engelen earned his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine at Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, followed by a transitional internship at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth in Virginia. He then served as a Lieutenant in the Navy and operated as the medical officer for 1st Battalion, 6th Marines in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and for a deployment to Afghanistan. He subsequently completed the Navy Undersea Medical Officer Course and operated as a Dive Medical Officer.
Dr. Engelen completed a residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of Utah and most recently completed a fellowship in Sports Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pennsylvania. He has actively supported the Pittsburgh athletic community by serving as a team physician for a high school and a Division II Collegiate athletic sports team. He has provided event coverage for the US speed skating team, US junior freestyle aerials, Salt Lake marathon, South Jordan marathon, and the Pittsburgh marathon. Dr. Engelen is currently serving as the team physician for West Jordan High School in Utah.
In his practice, Dr. Engelen has a special interest in:
- Evaluation and treatment of spine and sports injuries
- Advanced fluoroscopic procedures including epidural injections, facet blocks, and SI joint injections
- Ultrasound guided procedures for joint, tendon, or nerve injuries
- Diagnostic musculoskeletal and sports ultrasound
- Regenerative Medicine including PRP and stem cells for treatment of osteoarthritis and tendon injuries
- Biomechanical analysis for injury prevention and sports performance
In his leisure time, Dr. Engelen enjoys spending time with his wife and three children. He also enjoys mountain biking, road biking, crossfit, and alpine skiing.